Just some this and that...
This is Willis White and baby Judah (along with Jill Wright and Laura DeShields). Judah is an absolute magnet to the locals! They always smile and point at the baby. So when we walk with Willis and the stroller, we attract attention!
There is a man who herds his goats through town, selling milk (I guess). I was only quick enough to get the tail end! But it's part of life here in Pana.
This is a tiny lady who lives on the river road. I admired her headpiece, she lit up and we chatted. But when she asked if I wanted a picture, and I took this, she reached her hand out for money! I got a quetzal out for her - but she wanted more! She wanted 5 quetzales! I gave her a bit more change and left. That doesn't usually happen here, but I'll be forewarned!
Below is Laura on another day in another deaf school. Here they put other 'special needs' kids in with the deaf kids, which becomes frustrating, or even just don't send them to school, which is tragic. This is the first time Laura was at this school. She shows a video with some signs, and teaches them how to sign a few basic things ("God", "Jesus", "learn" etc) and she includes a drawing activity.
| This boy was a pistol - personality-plus! |
| Kids watching a video, and the older boy drawing a picture of the earth once it becomes a paradise - nice homes, trees etc. |
One day we were on a side street and saw a 'parade' of men walking with straps across their foreheads and carrying milk cartons filled with baby pine trees. We found out they were planting 15,800 baby pine trees up on the mountain to prevent erosion and landslides! These men were taking their burdens all the way up this huge mountain then walking back for another load. These are HARD WORKING people!
Finally, we found a place in Pana that is only open on weekends, but it serves FANTASTIC barbecue! Great sauce, large portions, great sides. It's our new favorite after-service spot! Here's a group of us:
| Sean and Renee Anderson (from Atlanta) |
| Bill and me! |



Hello dear friends,
ReplyDeleteReally enjoyed the pics and to see what's going on down there. You are constantly in my prayers. We send our love. :-)
Margie and Dave