Again, trying to catch up with some things I've wanted to share!
We, as Jehovah's witnesses, don't celebrate birthdays. Many may find that odd, but I found a fascinating article at the Huffington Post that talks about the origin of birthdays! It clearly states that birthdays started as pagan celebrations to gods and goddesses, including the cake and the candles, and that early Christians considered them offensive as a pagan celebration. They also mention that they began celebrating Christmas as Jesus' birthday in hopes of recruiting those already celebrating the pagan holiday of Saturnalia! Even though it has become popular and even ubiquitous, Jehovah's witnesses want to live as did the first Christians, before Christianity became mixed with false teachings (as prophesied by Jesus and Paul and others). So, we happily don't celebrate birthdays - though we do give gifts and eat cake whenever we wish!
Here's a recent picture of our congregation. We have visitors coming and going often, so seems almost every week there's a call to take a picture!
We've had some visits here. One group was here briefly from England visiting a British sister Ruth Gaunt who is serving in Spanish for many years near Guatemala City. (Sorry, but I can't find the note with their names!)
| Ruth Gaunt and visitors from England (and Julene Eisenhauer) |
Just before we left, there were some sisters visiting - two from Guatemala City and one from Honduras. They were SO sweet! They invited us to come see them, which we hope to do!
| Sofia Cruz (Honduras) and Gaby and Jazmin Miranda (from Guatemala City) |
When I was sitting at the literature table on Wednesday, a family of visiting witnesses came by. They were a pure delight, with two teenaged kids. They are Jorge Mario, Argentina, and kids Mauro and Adriana. (They wrote their first names, but not their surname! Sorry!). They are from the Atlantic side of Guatemala, Livingston, near Puerto Barrios and Izabal. Mauro showed us all kinds of gorgeous pictures of where they live! We had a great time visiting, and they invited us to come visit them - which we'd love to do!
| Argentina, Jorge Mario, Adriana, Mauro from Livingston Guatemala |
| Visitors Argentina and Adriana (on right) with visitor Brianna (on left) and locals Claudia and Cristiano, in center. |
Little by little, I'm catching up! Thanks for spending some time with us!
Hi Nancy & Bill
ReplyDeleteThis is Ruth (UK), when we met you - Phil & I and Ian & Laura were visiting Barbra March (Altos Sonora JW Cong. GT).
I just came across your blog - I think you have tracked ours too -
gaunt-emala.blogspot.com & our new one midsomersightsdream.blogspot.com
We miss GT very much and wish you all rich blessings on your spiritual activities, maybe we will be able to visit again soon. Did Teri Walker arrive in Pana? Say Hi to her & U'll.........