Sunday, August 25, 2013

Take a walk with me...

So, I wanted to share a bit of our service here.  It's an adventure!

Let me tell you about Manuel.  He lives way back, almost to the mountainside.  He is a music teacher, teaches trombone and other instruments - I'm sure I heard some of his students 'practicing' (groan) with great intentions and love, but less initial success.

We cross the big bridge, and then go down Callejon Chotzar.  It is the width of a car, and is paved at first.

When you get back to this corner, turn left.


When you get to this corner, turn right.




You'll quickly find this corner - turn left again.  You'll pass some gorgeous bougainvillea and "collar de la reina", the orange flower, meaning "necklace of the queen":




Now it gets a little tighter.  You'll turn left, then go straight on a single-file alleyway until the pavers run out. Then you're on a tight path with dirt and mud puddles.  Just dodge the puddles, and the barbed wire on each side.  Look to your right and you'll see a field of corn, and you may catch the older lady in there cultivating her corn.  Look up a bit and you see the side of a mountain!  On the left is another crop that I don't recall.

Straight ahead is the tienda Alpha Y Omega.  It's a little corner grocery with some basics, where you might get some rice, or some chips and soda, or a bag of water to drink (a little bag of about 8 ounces - just bite off a corner and start drinking!).  Most stores have a religious name - like Tienda Alpha y Omega, Tienda La Bendicion, or Tienda Eben-Ezer.

So, turn right at Tienda Alpha y Omega, down a very narrow path with corn on one side, and a house with chickens on the left.




Finally we are almost at Manuel's house.  He lives in a small house with several other teachers, and he's apparently quite busy, because I'm having a hard time catching him at home!  These are hard-working people.  When I first talked to him, he was really eager for me to come back, but we just have to work out a time!  Soon, I hope.

Now we retrace our steps and thank Jehovah for such a beautiful place to live.

1 comment:

  1. That was a fun field trip.
    Thank you for taking me along!

    Margie

    ReplyDelete