Monday, March 10, 2014

Weather

Sometimes people ask us, "What do you miss about back home?".  There really isn't much.  Maybe a meal at Olive Garden or Chipotle.

But I realized lately... I miss changing of seasons.

Somewhat.

In the US, you've had a winter that was just awful - record cold, and one polar vortex (?) after another.  Ice and snow.  I don't miss months on end of that.  I don't miss 105 degree and 100% humidity in the summer. So you may not have much sympathy for us here, after suffering the last months.

But I do miss a few days of snow - especially the days when you can stay at home, perhaps with a fire in the fireplace, and curl up and read and look out at the quieting white blanket of snow, or the frosting of ice on plants and fences.

In springtime, I know you will soon be getting little buds on flowers and trees, tiny crocuses and grape hyacinth popping up.  You will relish in the first day of a bit of warmth, the first day you can take off your coat.

Summer?  No, I don't miss that oven so much.

Fall, I do miss the trees changing colors, the cool snap after a hot summer.

Would I give up living here in Panajachel, Guatemala, with utterly beautiful weather and abundant vegetation year-round?  With nights of 62 degrees, days at 74 degrees?  With bougainvillea and bird-of-paradise and fuchsias, with pine trees next to banana and palm trees?  Not a chance.  I'm happy here.

But sometimes, a bit of the changing of seasons would be fun.  So, enjoy for us, OK?  If spring ever comes, that is!

1 comment:

  1. Enjoyed that post. After 7 years of living in Las Vegas, I am really enjoying having 4 complete, even seasons. And yes, I even enjoy the snow. I know it's not fair because I don't have to drive in it that much, but it's so beautiful.

    I also love having different weather every day. In Vegas, you didn't even have to look at the weather channel. "Sunny and 90", "Sunny and 115". Here....well...it's like a box of chocolates ;-)

    Love to you both
    The Hoelzers

    ReplyDelete