On Tuesday, we took another bus to a congregation to go in service with a congregation. We took a bus again, then met first at the kingdom hall (Norton Town was the town/congregation), where we were welcomed with songs. We went in service in Maridale.
Each person was assigned to each person visiting. They held up cards with names to find their 'buddy'. It was an excited and enthusiastic crowd! All were milling around, hugging and introducing themselves.
After meeting outside, we went inside for a meeting for service and welcome.
We went out in service in Maridale. I found a reference to the water issues in Maridale. People in Zimbabwe refer to areas as low-density, medium-density and high-density, and Maridale is high-density. Streets were dust/dirt, and houses were small and close together and quite basic (poor).
![]() |
| Dan Bell in front (but that's the passenger seat!) and Catherine in back. |
![]() |
| Street vendor on the way to our service |
![]() |
| On the street |
![]() |
| On the street - constructing something? or making bricks? |
![]() |
| Carrying wood via hand-cart |
![]() |
| Pumping water at a community well. When they saw I had a camera, lots of them got excited and started excitedly waving! |
![]() |
| Fruit vendor |
![]() |
| Selling tomatoes - creatively! |
![]() |
| Selling fruit |
![]() |
| Looks like Guatemala, with women carrying large loads on their heads! |
![]() |
| The brother with the hat was our driver, and the two sisters and the youngster were my service partners |
![]() |
| A little shy, but sweet! |
At each home, I talked to someone who was so appreciative to hear more about the Bible's promises. At the first home, the man quickly invited us into the home and brought out enough chairs for us all. He had had a death and welcomed hearing more about the hope of a resurrection and a time with no more death (Rev 21:3,4). At the end, I asked if he would like to learn more, if he'd like someone to come visit him, he said yes, he would!
At the second home, I ran into this man (below). At first he wasn't very friendly, but as I talked about Jehovah's promise to bring His Kingdom - as he prays in the Lord's Prayer - to have 'your will be done on earth as in heaven' (Mt 6:9,10) and more. He was intrigued, started warming up. At the end, I asked if he'd like to learn more, to have someone come visit him. He said yes, he would! (I then asked for a photo. Obviously he said yes - then gave me a big hug!)
Then we stopped at a home where a woman was drawing water from her front-yard well. I asked if I could help, and she let me. As I drew it up I saw there was very little water, and it was dirty and oily. I asked if she'd like to know about a time when there will be plenty of fresh, clean water? She said yes! I thought, uh oh, which scripture should I use? It's either Isaiah chapter 35, 45, 55 or 65, since those all have promises of a paradise earth. I gulped and went for chapter 35 - and found the verses I wanted in verses 6 and 7: "For waters will burst forth in the wilderness, And streams in the desert plain. The heat-parched ground will become a reedy pool, And the thirsty ground springs of water." I asked if she'd like someone to come teach her the Bible's promises, and she said yes!
![]() |
| The woman in green was the one drawing water from the well. |
At the last home, a group gathered in front of the house as we introduced ourselves. A young person brought out plastic stools for us, and we talked more. As in the other houses, I was able to open the Bible and talk about God's kingdom as a government that would soon rule over earth and solve the problems of earth and unite the peoples. Again, I offered to have someone come to teach them more, and they accepted!
An amazing morning! Four for four, 100% of people who welcomed a Bible study. And when we got back to the kingdom hall, everyone .. EVERYONE... had a similar experience. I asked the sister with me if they will really study, or if the Zimbabwean people are just too nice to say no. She said yes, they will really study. These are spiritually hungry people who are eager to hear more about God's kingdom!
When we went back to the kingdom hall, we all went back inside and shared experiences. I volunteered... and of course immediately started crying! I told them how moving it was to be in service there, and said, "Brothers, you have a LOT of work to do!" And since coming home, I've told many others that if they want a fantastically satisfying ministry - MOVE TO ZIMBABWE! The people are so warm and friendly and hungry to know more!
The brothers then presented a program they'd prepared. First, they talked about the history of the congregation. They used to use very rudimentary places to meet, but in (2003?) they were able to build a kingdom hall thanks to the donation program worldwide - they were very appreciative! Next
they interviewed some folks - both local as well as delegates. The local brothers were some who had been around for many many years. Then they interviewed the Farmers, in the circuit work (and who we had earlier met, and had served Highbridge in NYC!), and Dan Bell (traveling with us, and who works at headquarters at Brooklyn Bethel) who described his work in the Writing department and how it relates to their work in Zimbabwe. And they sang! There were choruses of children, mixed, and of men. Amazing and beautifully done!
| One of the choruses |
Farmers
| Dan Bell |
The brothers continually said, "We weren't sure what to do for you!" They just did their best... and we told them, over and over, how wonderfully they did for us. How generous and perfect it all was! SO VERY kind, generous, thoughtful. We felt so welcomed and loved.
After the gathering, we shared a meal with the congregation. They kindly served the delegates first - a variety of local foods, including kudu (a kind of antelope - very tough!) and other meats and vegetables. They offered an ice cream for dessert.
At the end, the friends sang a song outside as we went onto the bus. It was so hard to even leave them! And these sweet kids played a game as we left.
| video of girls playing! |
We will never ever EVER forget our dear friends and true brothers-of-the-heart, our brothers in Zimbabwe. The ministry truly unites us as we serve shoulder-to-shoulder, assisted by angels and holy spirit. We love our brothers in Zimbabwe SO MUCH. I hope to see them again soon!



































No comments:
Post a Comment