It feels so good to be back home and getting into a routine!
I got to sit at the literature table a few days ago. It was a pleasure to be back, enjoying sitting with Rachel Hamilton, visiting and greeting folks.
We had one man come up and talk to us. He had a long beard - think of the man on the right in the Smith Brothers Cough Drops - and had a very friendly approach. He is an American visiting here for a time, and trying to learn Cakquichel. He wondered if we had anything in that Maya language. We offered him a book, What Does The Bible Really Teach, in Cakquichel. I asked him if he could read it, and he did read it fairly well! I offered him the same book but in English, so he could compare the meanings. He was so appreciative!
Then I mentioned that jw.org has over 400 languages! I got this in an Instagram.... (idiomas means languages)
He was amazed! So I showed him that at jw.org, we also have even videos in hundreds of languages! I showed him a bit of the video Why Study The Bible in Cakquichel, so he could hear the language spoken a well. He was so thrilled. (Check out the list of languages that the video has!)
Then he said he was a middle school teacher in Los Angeles. I mentioned we also have the book for teenagers, Questions Young People Ask. He wanted that too!
He wanted to make a contribution, but I mentioned we don't accept contributions at the table (since we don't want to be confused with the street vendors), but if he ever wanted to contribute, he could go to a Kingdom Hall. I mentioned that there is even a congregation meeting in Cakquichel he could attend if he wanted to hear the language! He said he really wanted to attend! So, I'm not sure if he did, but it's open to anyone, with no obligation or collections, so I hope he did!
He said that our organization is the best of any he's known in reaching out to various language groups! I think so too! I'm so proud of our brothers for making sure even the smallest language groups have information available about God's future promises!
I had such a great time, and I'm so glad I'm back!

No comments:
Post a Comment