Note from the editor, Nancy: On a
personal note, I want to say that Eisenhauers are an exemplary family here!
Shawn is a teddy bear with a heart full of love for the brothers, always quick to
help others. Julene is a warm sister, a regular pioneer with great comments and
very hospitable. Loren and Attie are
their children, regular commenters at the meetings and are growing up very
nicely. Loren was even the first person in the English congregations to be
baptized in Guatemala! We love their family very much and we’re so happy
they’re here in Panajachel.
We arrived December 2012. When we got here, there were just
a handful already here (Perez, Gross and Shockley). We met in the very small
back room, along with some in the Spanish congregation that were going to have
a taste of English.
Why did you want to
serve in a foreign land?
Shawn: To us, it seemed that there is no better way to fully
serve Jehovah. You need to make a sacrifice to be blessed. Gives us more time for
Jehovah and for our family. We
wanted to raise our kids with a fuller ministry, less distractions. I was tired
of the rat race and ‘slaving for two masters’.
Julene: We wanted to spend our LIFE serving Jehovah. There
is no better way to live and raise your kids than in a place like this! We
wanted to sell off our stuff to simplify our lives.
Why Guatemala?
We
had wanted to go somewhere, but we ran into the Grosses in a restaurant when
they were visiting back home in Kansas City area. They described the beauty of
the area and the people, and the chance to start the first English group in all
of Guatemala. We went there to check it out (per Julene) or just to move (per
Shawn). We also did a lot of research online.
Was it hard to
simplify prior to moving?
Julene: Hard, yes, but we focused on how good it would be. I
am sentimental, so letting go of some things was so hard, like heirlooms. Some
we left in storage.
Shawn: It wasn’t hard actually to sell our house! We felt like
Jehovah had a lot to do with that. We had a large house and farm that had been
in my family for many years, and we wanted to sell it. But at the same time
(and as I was beginning the first day of pioneer school) it happened that a coal mining company had
been blasting nearby. I called them to complain, and he asked me to come into
his office (after the first day of pioneer school!) to discuss it. He actually
could blast more and work faster if no one lived within a certain perimeter of
the blast site… so he ended up buying our house for our full asking price
within 3 days! And he gave us four months to move out! We really felt like
Jehovah helped us with that!
But the physical labor to get rid of stuff was difficult. We
had a lot of things on the farm and lake after so many years. Plus, it was hard
to emotionally detach. It was my grandpa’s farm. But my advice? Just DO IT!
The best part about moving is that this was a new group, new
congregation starting the English field in all of Guatemala. It was very
exciting to be breaking new ground.
What was your first
impression of Guatemala and Panajachel?
It was gorgeous! Breathtaking! The weather was amazing!
Was it hard to let go
of being in the US?
NO! I do not get homesick! I never want to go back.
What surprised you
here?
In a negative way, a surprise was that nothing, in the way
of business or repairs, is simple! The process is always more difficult,
complicated. There is a lack of infrastructure. For instance, getting cable
(internet) service was a pain here.
But a nice surprise was how our spiritual family here takes
care of each other here.
Julene: I was happy to see some organic products available
here at local stores!
What was your
impression of the ministry?
When you’re here, you need to adapt to the style here. You
can’t just confront people outright here, as much as just befriend them and
talk to them, in time about Jehovah and his promises. It’s a small town and you
know you’ll be seeing them again and again! I really love this style of
ministry.
What do you miss
here, from the US?
Shawn: Maybe some restaurants! But, I would NOT LEAVE for
anything! Being in the US is like a trap and I’d chew my leg off before I’d
move back! The rat race is
all-consuming and you don’t realize it until you can get down here.
Julene: LaMars donuts! (laughs) and some other foods. And
dear old friends and family, of course.
What would you miss
about Guatemala, if you had to move back?
The simplicity of life. The beautiful weather. The brothers,
and the ministry. What I call “extreme service” – going up into the mountains,
going on boats – all to find English speakers to visit. But I’d hate to go
back!
What is hardest to
adjust to here?
Julene: Lack of variety of work around the house here! Since
we have a housekeeper and a gardener, there is not much that demands our
attention or work! We like to be busy. Shawn: I miss some of the get-togethers with old
friends back home.
The kids here have no friends of their age in the
congregation, and they get homesick. They’re not part of a social group.
Have there been
discouragements?
Sure. Our health sometimes has been bad. And the ministry
can be difficult here. There are fewer Bible studies in English than there are
in Spanish, fewer than we thought we might have. But still, it’s a much better
way of life overall.
What have you loved
here?
The issues are same both back home and in our home here,
such as family, money, congregation matters … but then you wake up and see…
we’re HERE! The ministry minimizes problems.
What advice would you
give?
Shawn: Poop or get off the pot! (haha) It’s a lot
easier and less scary than people think! People are so used to the same thing. Just
try it!
Julene: Leave it to Jehovah. You must be spiritually
thinking first. Don’t come for tropical weather or a cheaper life – do it for
Jehovah! I’ve heard this line and I like it… do you want to “serve where the
need is greater” or do you want to “SURF where MY need is greater”? or serve
where the GREED is greater? (laugh) If you do it for yourself, you’ll see all the negatives and
you won’t have the joy. But if you do it for Jehovah, it’s all good!
I interviewed the kids separately. Here's what they had to say:
So, kids, how do you like Guatemala?
Loren: Five stars! It's awesome! The ministry, the views, the temperature...
Attie: Well, four and a half stars! I like the warm weather, the majestic plants and birds, I like to serve here and the meetings.
What's the half-star 'off' for?
School!
But I like boat rides, the fun, wonderful friends, zip lining...
Should parents be afraid to bring their kids here?
No! It's not like that!
Would kids like it?
Kids that are adventurous and spiritual would like it! They'd LOVE it! (Loren commented that he has two Bible studies and Attie has one Bible study).
They should try it!
![]() |
| At an overlook between Solola and Panajachel |
| Shawn carrying a sleepy Attie out of Guajimbos |
| Shawn and Julene and others ... on the way to a convention in El Salvador, perhaps? |
| Shawn being interviewed by Andy Perez. |
| Loren, Julene and Attie in San Pedro. (I can't believe how much they've grown just since then!) |
![]() |
| Loren studying with a couple 'street kids' and Attie |
![]() |
| With us! Bill and Nancy Gross |
![]() |
| Loren with Andy Perez |
![]() |
| At the public witnessing table |
![]() |
| Eisenhauers and Grosses hosted the annual pioneer dinner in January 2014. |
![]() |
| Attie and Loren at the Stanley Theater, I think |
![]() |
| At a historical display |
![]() |
| with Caleb and Sofia at Wallkill Bethel |
![]() |
| Loren with Diego, one of our pioneers and an elder |
We are SO happy to have Eisenhauers in our congregation. They add a lot of fun and warmth and hospitality. They are loved!










No comments:
Post a Comment