I've written before about Semana Santa - "Holy Week" - here in Guatemala. (See this 2014 post).
It's starting soon. The town is filling up with visitors, and things are getting crowded. Noisy. Chaotic. Panajachel is a tourist destination for Guatemalans - as well as Guatemalans living in the US or elsewhere to come home to spend time with family.
But it gets crazy here.
Today there were probably a dozen helicopters overhead. They seemed to be heading to the luxurious Hotel Atitlan, perhaps from Guatemala City.
Yesterday we went through a huge number of motorcycles parked by the stadium. A soccer match perhaps.
Soon will come the makeshift tiendas erected along the street, closing the main streets. They will sell shoes, food, toys, anything.
The concerts, beer stands. The drunks staggering, yelling, then sleeping on the street in their vomit. The endless parades where schools have their students purchase outfits and march behind banners representing this school, the other school, and another and another.
Of course, it's great for the street vendors. The women who (year-round) carry piles of shawls, tablecloths, purses and more and sell to tourists. I'm happy they'll get some good income for a couple of weeks.
But me? I'll be hiding. I like Pana when it's nice and quiet.
See 'ya in a couple of weeks.
No comments:
Post a Comment