Sunday, January 6, 2013

What happens if... ?

So, when you consider moving to a distant land, you wonder, "What would I do if there were an emergency 'back home', when I'm so far away?"


I wondered that too.  And, now it's happened.  My mother died a few days ago, and, my sister was diagnosed with lymphoma - on the same day.

My mother had wished for death for at least a decade.  She mentioned it nearly on every one of my daily visits when she lived here for 5-6 years.  And she was 92 and very weak and tired and in poor health.  Ironically, she had just been taken off hospice after several years of lingering with hospice services.  So, her recent death is neither a surprise nor even unwelcome.  But it is still a shock and is a sad thing.  Her funeral?  Because all her contemporaries have died, the family will get together in the springtime to have a time to remember her and have some 'closure'.

My sister's lymphoma is terrible news, but it is actually a type of lymphoma that has pretty good success rates.  Her doctor said she has the 'second-best' type of lymphoma. So we are awaiting a decision as to her treatment, to see when and if I will come sit with her. She and I are very close.

So, what will I do in an emergency?  Go back, as needed.  Planes fly daily.

3 comments:

  1. That's a lot to handle at once, I'm so sorry. Hang in there.

    The New World and all that comes with it - we're all waiting. You'll be in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are really sorry to hear you are going through these tough times, we can't say we know how you feel but we do know the pain the death of a parent causes regardless if it's expected or not, our head hangs low along with you. Sal. 27:10 , Sal 34:18. We love you both. Alex & Becky M

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for your responses. I am slowly recovering from the loss of my mom, and my sister just started chemo. She has had some good news about the extent of her cancer (B-cell, hasn't left abdomen), so we're expecting good results! Again, thanks for your kind thoughts. --Nancy

    ReplyDelete