The water in Pana is brought in from Lake Atitlan, which looks sparkling and clean. But, during the rainy season with the daily constant heavy rain, which of course carries debris (leaves, dog poop etc) into the lake. So the 'fresh' water in our taps is pretty nasty. Once the dry season starts, it won't be as bad, though!
Here is a sample of a flushed toilet (perhaps the grossest picture I've posted here!): (NOTE: As a favor to anyone reading this, I have removed the photo. It was just too gross.)
The alternative is the bottled water that we purchase for 16Q, or just a little more than $2. I use this for cooking - unless it's something I'm going to boil well and for a duration of time.
So believe me when I'm pretty excited that the well water will be available this afternoon! They are actually turning off the tap water at noon so they can clean out the cistern where the water will collect. It must be pretty nasty! But soon, fresh clean water will be coming in. We still won't drink it, but at least I won't need a shower after I shower!

No comments:
Post a Comment