I had a really nice service day in English today. Let me tell you about it!
I'm sure in five years we will have a robust congregation and many more English congregations in various areas of Guatemala, but for now, studies are not as abundant as in Spanish (where a dozen studies - or more - may be the norm for pioneers). But we went out, and paired up with another sister, Bev.
First, we are walking to make some visits along a tourist street. A local vendor approached us to ask if we wanted a boat ride, but his eyes lingered on Bev (who has a tracheotomy for 17 years). Finally he said that his wife has a trach too. As we talked, it turns out she just got a trach a couple of weeks ago as a result of being stabbed 37 times or something (by a teenager that wanted to rape her). Anyway, we talked a while and asked if we could visit her to comfort and reassure her. The man was in tears on the street - it meant so much to him that we were willing to help comfort her and let her see that it can be OK. We were all in tears, actually. Their son was with him, and was also nervously staring at Bev's trach - I think it was good for him to see someone who has one that is doing just fine with it.
We had a couple other calls, then as we were going home, we stopped in a "plastic store" - a store filled with cheap plastic items (chairs, kitchen stuff, wastebaskets, hangers etc). We chose what we wanted, and as we were negotiating the price and getting ready to pay, the owner asked if we were witnesses. We smiled and said yes, but how did you know? She had trouble expressing how, but finally said, because we are always smiling ear to ear! (And we talked about how many foreigners are rude here.) We talked about our starting an English congregation to study the Bible and then, as we often do here, I asked her if she spoke English. She said no, but her daughter does! I then spoke to the daughter Nayeli, 11, and asked if she'd like to study the Bible in English (also checking it out with Mom, though usually that's not a problem here). when she said yes, her mom literally bounced up and down and clapped in excitement that her daughter would study the Bible - in English! I had a Listen To God brochure, so we'll start with that as we see how her English is. From what I heard, she's really quite good!!!
And... I prayed for a Bible study this morning! Who knew... an errand could turn into a study! And a medical apparatus could turn into such a great experience!
Finally, this evening I saw a treat from Andy - a gift from her family... a Downey fabric softener ball! We have spent so much time hovering over the washer to try to catch it at the right time to put in fabric softener. Now we can just let it go! It's amazing how little it takes to get us all excited down here!
The rainy season has started here. It rains most days, mostly in the afternoon or night. But the haze is clearing up, and we can actually see the mountains, volcanoes and lake! That's a treat.
I absolutely LOVE this post!! It makes me miss home and I cant wait to be back. Thanks forkeeping it fresh me for:)
ReplyDelete