Monday, October 14, 2013

Leaving KC, going to ... ROME!

We are preparing to leave Kansas City and our dear family and friends.

We loved seeing (my sister) Marilyn and Duane and son Peter in Des Moines.  Marilyn's hair is growing back in beautifully now that she's done with chemo, and she's getting excellent 'reviews' from doctors about her progress. She will have one more scan (PET?) to confirm, but she's back teaching and happy to be there.

We enjoyed being at our Santa Fe congregation meetings, and seeing dear ones - Olga, the Rojas family, Lourdes, Anita and Juan, a first baby for the Kekos, the Balderramas, Selina and her family, Walter and Rocio, Diego, beautiful and smart Kimberly, Jairo ... and just SO many more!  We missed seeing others, like Lidia and Abi and Javier, and more.

While here, I started some lists of things I notice that I enjoy while I'm here, and so on.  Here goes!


What I am enjoying about USA 
Seeing loved ones
Clean water from tap
Reliably hot water (sometimes ours is hot - solar heat - sometimes not)
Sunsets (we live behind mountains and rarely see much color)
Carpet (tile is sooo much more practical down there!)
Chipotle restaurant, Cinzettis, and more
Autumn leaves (we saw a few)
Milk (milk in plastic containers in Guate is reconstituted from powder, so we just buy powdered Nido now) 
Wide, flat streets, well marked streets and locations
Products being available

What I'm not enjoying
Rude people
Noise 
Rushing
Shopping (though it has been necessary)
Prices
Not much autumn color this year! 


What I miss
Mountains
Smiles
Friends back home in Pana
Authentic feeling of Pana  (Life there is so... real. Can't describe better than that.) 
People being able willing to do things for themselves or to repair rather than replace

We are heading out to the airport this morning for our flight to Rome! The flight is from KC to Chicago, then at 5:30ish we leave Chicago and arrive in Rome 9:30 in the morning (Rome time), which is 2:30 in the morning KC time.  I'll try to sleep on the plane then just stay up the day in Rome to reset my body clock. Mark and Catherine (Cat) Richardson will fly in and arrive in the evening Tuesday. We'll be there four days or so, then on the cruise Saturday morning!  Will post again with photos when I can! 

1 comment: