A few months ago, we had a brief issue with getting a bank transfer from our bank in the US to our bank down here. I got really anxious - you know the feeling! Eyes widened, heart pounding, a bit panicky, short of breath, tightness in my throat, adrenaline rushing.
Then I realized two things: (1) I used to feel that way DAILY about one thing or another when I lived back in the US, and (2) I almost never feel that level of anxiety now.
Our banking problem was resolved within a couple of hours. But it reminded me what a gift it is to live here in this peaceful place, with a schedule that keeps us active but rarely with a sense of panic or desperation.
I also recently realized that I no longer have daily vertigo episodes due to my Meniere's Disease. I used to get up from lying down on the bed, and have to sit there a bit until the room stopped spinning, or during the routine of the day, I'd frequently hold onto something to keep my balance. But I haven't had an episode like that for ... months! I believe it is the low stress level.
Yes, we do have plenty to do down here. We'd imagined we would pick up some hobbies in our spare time, like Bill brushing up on his guitar, or me re-learning the keyboard, or knitting or other hobbies. And honestly, we just haven't done it. We are active in the ministry, and when we're home, we are often reading or doing Bible study, or getting together with friends, or just taking care of life. But we love our peaceful life here.
I love this post. So happy you made the move. Life in the last days has so many challenges, and it takes courage to make big changes. Pursuing the ways of peace is not always in the realm of relationships. Sometimes it is setting up our lives in a different way, should we have a choice in the matter. So glad you took that leap.
ReplyDelete