Monday, October 7, 2013

Realistic budget for life in Guatemala

We are frequently asked how much it takes to live in Guatemala.

We aren't personally necessarily the best people to ask, because we don't pay much attention.  But following is what I believe is probably pretty close.  Some numbers may be a bit high, some perhaps low, but this should give you an idea.

Understand that this is life in Panajachel, a tourist economy with a bit higher prices.  If you learn Spanish and want to help where there is desperate need outside of Pana, prices are much cheaper yet.

MOST CHEAPLY:  Perhaps $400-500/month? (not eating out, finding low rent, etc).
  • Rent:  $200 (this is a mostly rock-bottom price; is usually for furnished; some even provide kitchen equipment) 
  • Electric: $7-$12
  • Internet: $19-$35 for good internet; less for 256k. (variable depending on method)
  • Food:  
    • One sis reports she pays about $65, shopping at the market and the Dispensa (a food store operated by Walmart)
    • Fresh fruits and vegetables, rice/beans from market, fresh chicken occasionally
    • If you expect or want more American foods or brands, you can find it here - but you will pay more. 
  • Transportation:  If you're really living cheaply, you'll walk.  But if you plan to occasionally use a moto-taxi ('tuk-tuk') it will be 5Q or 60 cents per ride.  If you go with the congregation to towns across the lake on Wednesdays, it is 20Q per ride, or $2.50 each way, per person. 
  • Occasional expenses:
    • every 3 months, you need to get your visa renewed, either by a trip to Mexico or to Guatemala City.  Cost, maybe $100-$200 (trip on a shuttle, hotel & meals)
    • Assemblies are in El Salvador.  Cost of a shuttle, maybe $50+ per person; plus hotel ($40/night), eating out.  
    • Clothes - you can get clothes really cheaply here from 'paca' stores.  There are probably dozens in Pana and surrounding towns.  Paca stores receive huge bundles of surplus clothes and household items from the US (I guess), mostly decent quality, clean, some unused.  
    • Doctors, medicines - cheap but prescriptions (depending on medicine) are not necessarily much cheaper than list price (non-insurance) in the US.  But you won't need a prescription here for anything. Either they have it  or they don't. 
    • If you need to back to the US periodically (to work, for family or business needs), airfare tends to be maybe $650 to &725 (to Kansas City, according to what I've found)
  • Setup expenses:  There are always setup expenses - for example: 
    • Furniture.  If your apartment is not furnished, you may need a few things.  You can sometimes get it used, or, ask a carpenter (there are many) to custom-make a table etc. 
    • pots, pans, dishes, linens - you can get those from a Paca store. 
    • initial store of food
    • Deposits:  on rent, utilities
Of course, you can easily double or triple that if you live in a more costly apartment or a private house or a house on the lake, or if you eat out a lot, or take tuks daily (or have and use a car), and so on. 

If I have updates to this, I'll come back here and make some additions and corrections.  If you have questions, please email us, or drop it in the Comments below. 

2 comments:

  1. Hello Bill and Nancy!
    My name is Dana Goodwin and I'm not sure if you'll remember me but I was with a group of visitors in Panajachel in a restaurant. I met you both there and discovered we are all from the Kansas City area (I believe you also used to live in Olathe). I've been reading your blog and it's very interesting! I'm glad you both are having a great time on your cruise. Happy 25th Anniversary!

    Blessings,
    Dana Goodwin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I do remember you! It was so surprising to overhear (sorry!) the next table talking about our former home! I hope you had a great time in your Guatemala visit and that you come back soon! Thanks for posting a Hello!

    ReplyDelete